"On the Ground" series
On the Ground videos offer snapshots of research outcomes from Leopold Center grant projects.
Adding Prairie Strips
This video was produced by the STRIPS Research Team to provide an overview of how cultivating prairie conservation strips between row-crops can positively impact farmland and ecosystem health. Watch the video Restoring the Balance: Prairie Conservation Strips.
For more information about the STRIPS project visit the website: www.prairiestrips.org
Nabbing Nitrates: Before Water Leaves the Farm
These videos were produced for M&M Divide Resource Conservation & Development (RC&D) with support from the Leopold Center and 13 collaborating groups. The videos show what happens below the ground to remove nitrates from water when various conservation practices are used.
View the following videos on Vimeo:
Land Tenure and Land Ethics
These videos were developed by the Drake Agricultural Law Center with support from the Leopold Center Policy Initiative. The videos, and a host of other resources, are part of the Sustainable Agricultural Land Tenure project.
View the following videos on the Drake Ag Law Vimeo channel:
- Women Landowners: Land Management and Conservation Conversations
- New Farmers and Women Landowners: Advice from Former Beginning Farmers
- Conservation on Leased Land
- Integrating Prairie into Cropland
- Iowa's Land Tenure and Stewardship Policy Project
- Helping Farmers Fulfill the Land Ethic
- Leasing Land to a New Small Farmer
- The Iowa Landowner's Duty of Stewardship
Why Local? Why Now?
This series of videos show the importance of local food for Iowa communities, farmers, young people and our landscape:
ISU Horticulture Resources
ISU Sustainable Vegetable Production Lab: Under the direction of Ajay Nair, this lab has been conducting research on vegetable production on weed management, soil health and cover crops. This work has been supported by the Leopold Center.
This video is based on work done with a Leopold Center competitive grant.
Iowa farmers share how they are reducing fossil fuel use on their farms in these short videos:
- John Rodecap, Decorah -- No-till corn/soybean farm
- Tom Frantzen, Frantzen Farms, New Hampton -- Energy efficiency
- Mark Runquist, High Hopes Gardens, Melbourne -- Small wind turbine
- Eric & Ann Franzenburg, Pheasant Run Farm, Van Horne -- Corn kernel boiler to heat greenhouses